The Community Health Training Institute (CHTI) is a state certified community health worker (CHW) training site. CHTI provides training and continuing education for CHWs in collaboration with certified CHW trainers and other partners, including: area hospitals, academic institutions, local health departments, and community and county organizations.
CHTI provides relevant and innovative CHW training to adequately prepare CHWs to serve in diverse public health and clinical health care arenas in the community. Many have begun to recognize the value of CHWs both in cost effectiveness and cost benefit, as well as the potential benefit of the linkages created by CHWs between the health care system and the community. We believe that CHWs are an integral part of our health care system and should be trained and compensated as such. In our fragmented system the role CHWs is becoming increasingly more valuable.
Our current curriculum includes:
- Women’s Health Concerns
- Guiding Principles for Ethics and Counseling
- Teach Back: A Health Care Education Tool
- Bullying: Defining, Intervention, Prevention and Strategies
- Resume writing
- How states are utilizing CHWs to improve Healthcare for mothers and babies
- Welcome to the Sandwich Generation –Working with families and Geriatric Consumers
- Food Stamp Program/SNAP
- CHWs – Mental Illness and Locating Community Resources, Providing Transitions – and Support
- Safety in the Home for Seniors: Home Safety for People with Dementia, Alzheimer ’s disease
- Diabetes Empowerment Education Program (DEEP) – taught by Toya Norton – DEEP certified trainer
- Road to Health
- A Matter of Balance